IPB University is a higher education institution that produces innovations with a nationally and internationally acknowledged quality. For ten years straight (2008-2018), IPB has the most innovation compared to other universities in Indonesia base on appraisement from Business Innovation Center – Ministry of Research, Technology, and Higher Education of Indonesia in Indonesia’s Most Prospective Innovation (39,71%).
The success of IPB with all of its achievements cannot be separated from the leadership role of the previous IPB Rectors. The history of IPB's leadership from time to time as follows:
- Prof. Dr. Syarif Thayeb (Chairman of IPB Presidium 1963)
- Prof. Dr. A.J. Darman (Chairman of IPB Presidium 1963)
- Prof. Dr. Tb. Bachtiar Rifai (IPB Rector 1964 - 1965)
- Prof. Dr. Sajogyo (IPB Rector 1965 - 1966)
- Prof. Dr. J.H. Hutasoit (Chairman of IPB Presidium 1966)
- Prof. Dr. Toyib Hadiwidjaja (IPB Rector 1966 - 1971)
- Prof. Dr. A.M. Satari (IPB Rector 1971 - 1978)
- Prof. Dr. Andi Hakim Nasution (IPB Rector 1978 - 1987)
- Prof. Dr. Sitanala Arsjad (IPB Rector 1987 - 1996)
- Prof. Dr. Soleh Solahuddin (IPB Rector 1996 - 1998)
- Prof. Dr. R.H.M. Aman Wirakartakusumah (IPB Rector 1998 - 2002)
- Prof. Dr. Ahmad Ansori Mattjik (IPB Rector 2002 - 2007)
- Prof. Dr. Herry Suhardiyanto (IPB Rector 2008 - 2012)
- Prof. Dr. Herry Suhardiyanto (IPB Rector 2012 - 2017)
- Prof. Dr. Arif Satria (IPB Rector 2017 - 2022)
- Prof. Dr. Arif Satria (IPB Rector 2013 - 2028)
Carrying the tagline "Inspiring Innovation with Integrity", Rector of IPB currently encourages the creation of various innovations and discoveries that benefit the community. IPB also aspires to become a campus that gives birth to young entrepreneurs who encourage national independence in the future.
The Vision of IPB University for period 2019-2023 is: To become a research-based university and leading in innovation for national independence towards a techno-social entrepreneurial university that excels at the global level in agriculture, marine, tropical biosciences (Strategic Plan IPB 2019-2023)
The mission of IPB University for the period of 2019-2023 is:
- Organizing higher education by strengthening the research base of the university to produce superior techno-sociopreneur graduates, have noble character based on faith and piety to God, high nationalism, professional competence, millennium softskills, leadership, globally insightful and become a trend setter of innovation and change.
- Pioneering superior and leading research in transformative science and technology for the creation of quality of sustainable life, and innovation for the people's economy and national industry.
- Explore the latest sciences in agriculture, marine and tropical biosciences to determine trends of current science at the national and global level.
- Improve proactive services that contribute and solve community problems and enhance roles IPB University in determining the direction of national policy.
- Strengthening the State University management system that is able to guide the development of modern management systems of higher education in 4.0 era.
The objectives of IPB University for the period of 2019 - 2023 are:
- Produce superior techno-sociopreneur graduates who have noble character based on faith and piety to God Almighty, have high nationalism, professional competence, millennium softskills, soul of leadership, global outlook and become a trend setter of innovation and change.
- Produce transformative science, technology and art to create quality of sustainable life, and concrete innovations for the people's economy and national industry.
- Making IPB University a determinant of the latest sciences in agriculture, marine and tropical biosciences at the national and global level.
- Making IPB University as a university that is proactively solve community problems and help to determine the national policy direction.
- Making IPB University as a pioneer in the development of a modern management system of higher education.
IPB founded on 1 September 1963 as a form of visionary thinking from leaders of the nation and those that care about agriculture higher education so this big nation have world-class university that have competency in agriculture, bioscience, and various related fields. This matter intended to enhancing food security, bioenergy, job creation, poverty eradication, and preserve environment. The birth of IPB on 1 September 1963 based on decision of Minister of Higher Education and Sciences No. 91/1963 that later authorized by the first President of Indonesia with Decision no. 279/1965
Inspiring Innovation with Integrity in Agriculture, Ocean and Biosciences for Sustainable World