IPB History – Embryonic Phase (1941-1963)
BOGOR AGRICULTURAL UNIVERSITY
TOWARDS EMBRYONIC RESEARCH UNIVERSITY 2007
On the 1st of September 2003 Institut Pertanian Bogor (IPB) or Bogor Agricultural University reached the age of 40 years. IPB’s history of development began with the embryonic phase (1941-1963), birth and growth phase (1963-1975), maturity phase (1975-2000), implementation phase of IPB's autonomy IPB (2000-2005) towards IPB as State-Owned Legal Body (BHMN) which would begin in 2006. In 2007 IPB was expected to be in an embryonic stage of a research-based university.
| || || |
First Ground Breaking at Darmaga Campus of IPB by Ir. Soekarno
Baranangsiang Campus of IPB, Bogor
Graduation in the Past
History of IPB Leadership from Time to Time:
1. Prof.Dr. Syarif Thayeb (Head of IPB Presidium 1963)
2. Prof.Dr.A.J. Darman (Head of Presidium 1963)
3. Prof.Dr.Ir. Tb. Bachtiar Rifai (Rector of IPB 1964-1965)
5. Prof.Dr.J.H. Hutasoit (Head of IPB Presidium 1966)
6. Prof.Dr.Ir. Toyib Hadiwidjaja (Rector of IPB 1966-1971)
7. Prof,Dr.Ir. A.M. Satari (Rector of IP B 1971-1978)
8. Prof.Dr.Ir. Andi Hakim Nasution (Rector of IPB 1978-1987)
9. Prof.Dr.Ir. H. Sitanala Arsjad (Rector of IPB 1987-1996)
10. Prof.Dr.Ir. H. Soleh Solahuddin,M.Sc (Rector IPB 1996-1998)
11. Prof.Dr.Ir. R.H.M. Aman Wirakartakusumah,M.Sc (Rector of IPB 1998-2002)
12. Prof.Dr.Ir. Ahmad Ansori Mattjik,M.Sc (Rector of IPB 2002-2007)
13. Prof.Dr. Ir. H. Herry Suhardiyanto, M.Sc. (Rector of IPB 2008-2012)
14. Prof.Dr. Ir. H. Herry Suhardiyanto, M.Sc. (Rector of IPB 2013-2017)
IPB's embryonic phase of development began with the existence of institutions of secondary and higher education in agriculture and veterinary medicine in the early 20th century in Bogor. Before World War II the secondary education institutions were known by the names: Middelbare Landbouw School, Middelbare Bosbouw School and Nederlandsch Indiche Veeartsen School.
In 1940, the Dutch government founded an Institution of Agricultural Higher Education in Bogor with the name Landbouw Hogeschool, which later on 31October 1941 was called Landbowkundige Faculteit. However, it was closed during the Japanese occupation (1942-1945), while the Nederlandsch Indische Veeartsenschool (Veterinary School) remained to operate. But its name was changed to Bogor Zui Gakku (Bogor Veterinary School). In line with the period of independence in 1946, the Ministry of Prosperity, the Republic of Indonesia upgraded the Veterinary School in Bogor to College of Veterinary Medicine (PTKH).
In 1947 the Institution of Agricultural Higher Education, Landbowkundige Faculteit was reopened under the name Faculteit Voor Landbouw-Wetenschappen, which had majors in Agriculture and Forestry. Meanwhile in 1948 PTKH or College of Veterinary Medicine was changed to Faculteit voor Dierge neeskunde under Universiteit van Indonesie which later changed its name to University of Indonesia
In1950 Faculteit voor Landbouw-wetenschappen became Faculty of Agriculture, University of Indonesia, with three Departments, namely, Socio-Economics, Physical Sciences and Forestry and in 1957 the Department of Land Fishery was formed. Meanwhile, Faculteit voor Dieergeneeskunde was changed to Faculty of Veterinary Medicines under the University of Indonesia, and then in 1960 the name became Faculty of Veterinary Medicines and Animal Husbandry. In 1962 it became Faculty of Veterinary Medicine, Animal Husbandry of the University of Indonesia.
Some important historical milestone known in the embryonic stage are:(1) the application of guided study system that replaced the free study system of, (2) the idea of building a new campus in Darmaga for Faculty of Agriculture, University of Indonesia, and (3) the application of the philosophy “Tridharma” of Higher Education which was originally applied in Faculty of Agriculture and the Faculty of Veterinary Medicine and Animal Husbandry of UI by Prof. Dr. Ir. Toyib Hadiwidjaja. Nationalization of Dutch companies in Indonesia entered the year 1960 and gave IPB the opportunity to expand its campus land, so in addition to Campuses of Barangangsiang, Taman Kencana, Gunung Gede and Cilibende, IPB also has Darmaga Campus, Garden of Pasir Sarongge, Garden of Sukamantri and Garden of Jonggol.